Monday, November 12, 2007

Welcome!

Welcome to my new blog. This is my first post here, so let me introduce myself and let you know what I'm hoping to accomplish with this blog. First to introduce myself.

My name is Karen and I am a motorcycle junkie. I got my first motorcycle when I was 12 years old. My next door neighbor (the best looking boy in school) had a motorcycle and I was able to convince my parents I needed one too. I loved riding around rural Oregon where I grew up. That first motorcycle was a little Kawasaki dirtbike, that I rode all the time until my family moved to Alaska the year I grauduated from high school.

The next 20 years went by without me riding. First I was a poor college student who barely had enough money for food, let alone a motocycle, then I was married to an emotionally abusive guy who was against anything I thought would be fun. We finally got divorced and I found myself free to do what I wanted for the first time in many years. I met a guy who treated me and my girls well and we soon bought a house togethr. We talked a few times about getting bikes, and even went down to the local Harley Davidson shop and sat on bikes. I loved the idea of riding again, but wasn't thrilled with the way a Harley felt. The during the winter of 2005/2006 a friend of ours asked if we would be interested in doing some long distance motorcycle riding with them.

My husband and I started our research immediately and quickly decided on BMW dualsport bikes as the kind of ride that would best suit our intended riding style. I'm only 5'3" and have short legs even for my height, and hadn't been on a bike in 20 odd years. OH BOY! I'll tell about getting our bikes next time.

What do I want to accomplish with this blog?

Well, I'd like to share rides, ideas, problems with other women who ride or would like to ride. Women adventure riders are a growing market share, but not much seems to be directed toward my demographic. I don't want to wear the cute little jackets the sportbike girls are wearing. I need more protection. But I don't want to be limited to cut-down men's wear, either. So, together maybe we can create a voice that's loud enough to be heard. I like long distance touring on backroads with some offroad exploring thrown in. Most forums that I've seen are full of guys who ride this way, but many women. I want to share rides and places to go with other women. The guys are great, and my husband is my favorite riding partner, but there are times when I'd like to ride without worrying about the testosterone factor.

I also own a motorcycle forum for women, TwoWheelFemales.com, and I'd like to invite any women who read this blog to come over and say hello. I'm ridingAK over there if you check it out.

Till next time... Ride safe.

2 comments:

Biker Betty said...

Hi Karen,

I'm a biker chick, too. I'm Betty and I ride a V-Star 650 custom and love it. I look forward to reading about your adventures.

Biker Betty :)

Harley Heb said...

Hi Karen,
I am also a biker woman and LOVE it! My first bike *awhile* back was a Suzuki 550L. I now own a Harley Sportster. Fun. Hubby and I are having a super summer on our bikes, and meeting alot of people.
Can't wait to read more of your stuff.
fun riding to you,
Harley Heb