Monday, August 10, 2009

Busy Summer

After doing a lot of local riding exploring our new backyard, I have noticed an interesting difference in riding in Washington as opposed to riding in Alaska. Whereas Alaska is a dualsport state, most riders here ride Harleys. I have no problem with that, but it does bother me that so few people wear gear. It is commonplace here to see people riding in shorts, and tank tops. I guess it is their business, not mine, but why a person would risk sunburn, bug smacks, and of course road rash or worse in the case of accident is beyond my understanding. I'd rather sweat a little than lose my skin or my life. Besides, cooling vests only cost about $30. That's a pretty low price to pay for comfort and safety.

On a more positive note, we had the pleasure of meeting a super nice people this summer. He has been riding for years, and she got her first bike this spring. They went on a Mexico to Canada tour this summer and she is hooked! It is such an inspiration to watch a rider discover the love of the road. I look forward to riding with them in the future, hopefully on a trip to Copper Canyon and Creel, Mexico. I guess I'd better start brushing up on my Spanish skills!

No comments: